These movies weren’t necessarily shot in exotic locales, nor did the music had likes of Snoop Dogg or Pritam or Himes Unkil and had 6 standard songs with no remixes of RDB Style, Tiger style, iska style, uska style, the actresses weren’t necessarily the babes in bikinis and the heroes weren’t exactly the men on mission with superpowers or metrosexual tags.
Coming back to the point, here goes the list…and yes you are more than whole heartedly welcome to give me your suggestions, lets expand the list people… Please note that I am not trying to add the obvious known choices like Hum or Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander or HAHK,KKHH type movies here, these are the otherwise masala potboilers we have forgotten or are now a cult movies….
1. Andaaz Apna Apna - Well I don’t think I have to give reasons for this being in my list. Aamir and Salman actually tied their jeans with slim belts (way over the waist hahaha). Karisma looked straight out of school with bright orange lipstick and Raveena – my she looked so pretty (she does today too!).This legendary movie introduced us to the nephew of Mogambo – Crime Master Gogo, the famous ‘do dost ek hi pyaali mein chai piyenge‘, ‘Teelu‘, ‘Teja main hu Mark Idhar Hai‘, ‘sorry sir galti se mistake ho gaya‘, ‘balki main to kehta hu aap purush hee nai hai’. The beautiful yet crazily shot songs - Dil Karta Hai tere paas aau, Ye Raat aur ye durri - Salman and his cute dholak and Karisma in her cute pink nightdress or Aamir’s cap going up seeing Raveena blushing in her yellow dress or the romantic Aye Lo jee Sanam hum aa gaye with OP Nayyar’s reminiscence. (PS I have joined Crime Master Gogo’s fan page on FB and yeah guys they have some seriously funny updates that will make you laugh everytime you open your homepage).
2. Tahelka - First things first – I so badly want to ask Naseeruddin Shah why why why did he sign this movie? The amazing Shom Shom Shom Shamo Shasha anthem by Sitar playing General Dong aka Amrish Puri (of Dongrila), the cross dressing, the rip off of Old McDonald had a farm in Mere Dil mein tera dil hai eeya eeya o, the dancing Dharam Paaji on Put on the ghungroo on my feet and watch my dirrama, the overtly patriotic Mukesh Khanna, young looking Pallavi Joshi or hypnotic Firdaus Dadi, passable Sonu Walia or Ekta…..the truck scene where they served them a unique drink – god I don’t wanna type more. Read another hilarious review here.
3. Gopi Kishen - Who can forget the kid crying – ‘mere do do baap!‘. The double role of Sunil Shetty, buxom Shilpa Shirodkar in tight bright lehengas, catty Karisma and the famous Hanuman Ji scene. 100% fultoo masala potboiler bole to!
4. Thaanedar – O c’mon don’t tell me you don’t remember the path breaking - Tamma Tamma loge and Madhuri and her famous black dress. Coincidentally at a wedding I actually saw a girl wearing the same outfit much to our surprise! Sanju baba fooling the poor villagers and they singing his praises in the long title song……pehli pehli baar aisa thanedaar aaya!! or the nerve wrecking song for all the recently married grooms - jab se hui hai shaadi aansu baha raha hu, aafat gale padi hai usko nibha raha hu
PS IMDB tells me there is a Thanedaarni as well
5. Raja Babu - Shakti Kapoor, yes that is what I remember the most from this movie now with his shorts and naada coming out and jumping and yelling - Raja baabu aa gaye. The songs were OTT - Aa ee ooo mera dil na toddo or Pak Chik Pak Raja Babu and and and the highly embarassing Sarkaye Leyo Khatiya jaada lage. Trust me only Lolo and Chichi can make this song look cute while mouthing and acting the vulgar meaning lyrics!
6. Saajan Chale Sasural - One of the few movies apart from Biwi No.1 where Tabu has a gala time crying OTT and being a pati parmeshwar type wife. Tum to dhokebaaz ho - the video of confusion, Govinda dancing in hotel’s adjacent rooms with both wives. The climax scene where all of them are hung on a rope! The cute Ram Narayan Baaja baajjata……
7. Hathkadi – Well kudoz to Govinda for the third entry in my list. This movie had him in a double role opposite Madhoo and Shilpa shetty (with or without her original nose that I ‘d have to probe further). The songs were quite a chartbusters - Lekar Tujhko Jaunga Dulhan Aanan Fanan, Mere Chaandi Jaise Baal Kamaal Kamaal. The double role was well played by Govinda, I liked him specially in Rajnikath’s role.
8. Dil Tera Aashiq – Salman and Madhuri starrer with Anupam Kher playing a strict uncle falling head over heels with wig wearing fat Madhuri. This had some chartbusters as well - Dil Tera Aashiq, Namaste Namaste. Madhuri portrayed the role of a poor girl so poooooooor that she didn’t had food in her home and the home was worse than a regular house maid’s home, still she had perfect lipstick, modern clothes and the attitude of a city girl! Waah
9. King Uncle – Rakesh Roshan’s production starring SRK, Jackie Shroff and Anu Aggarwal (!!!!). The cute girl child was the same girl who played Kajol’s baby sister in DDLJ and she also appeared in Nazia Hassan’s remix video - Aakhein Milane Wale. The story was cute and the girl did win lots of hearts. Anu played the stupid PA to strict and boring Jackie Shroff. The lovely snowy locations and a cute song featuring SRK and Nagma on a cycle in fields (anyone here who remembers the song??? Ooo ooo actually I remember now Is jahaan ki nahi hai tumhari aankein, aasma se ye kisne utari aankhein in Nitin mukesh’s voice!)
10. Trimurti – Subhash Ghai’s magnum opus, a film too high on hype and low on quality – this one tanked at the BO so badly that it left Mr Ghai poorer (a la Yaadein, Yuvvrajj) I just thanked god because the cliched role of strong yet revenge seeking mom was not given to Rakhi but to apni Rajni – Priya Tendulkar; I mean god why – why does she have to raise her sons to seek revenge from Thakurs all the time (mere bete aayenge, my fingers are digging inside my palm right now). Top three stars of Bollywood of that time - Anil Kapoor, Jackie Shroff and SRK were casted in this movie where Mohan Agashe played the baddie. Songs were needless to mention superhit on Superhit Muqabla, sample these - Bol bolle bol tujhko kya chahiye, Duniya Re Duniya very good very bad
11. Roop Ki Raani Choron Ka Raaja – Boney Kapoor’s magnum opus that teee tanked at the BO flat out. One of the most expensive movies of 90′s it featured Sridevi and Anil Kapoor in lead roles, songs were a rage and so was Sridevi’s dancing. I don’t remember anything further about this movie…..
12. Mehndi and Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat - Well these are put together as I don’t see any other reason to separate these two where the similarities begin and never end with buxom and thigh thunderous Rani doing weird dance moves with Shadaab Khan and then Faraaz Khan and gives social message in such thakela manner that you feel like screaming and cursing your existence on this planet. God Bless you Vikram Bhatt and K.Jo for adopting her and giving us the perky Alisha of Ghulam or hawty Tina of KKHH.
13. Ishq – ROFL, LMAO……the first half is a roller coaster ride with constant fighting of Aamir and Juhi – yelling at each other, throwing tooth pastes, killing each other with fake knife, coming as a ghost in night, a long smooch and the funky dance on ‘Neend churaai meri kisne o sanam’, the hilarious scene of walking on wire from roof top saying ‘Ram Ram mara mara‘ while hinting to the deaf servant – don’t cut the wire or his master telling him I told you to cut another wire! O god my stomach hurts while watching this scene. End note - Mr Lova Lova teri aankhon ka jaadu or Shweta Menon in white short skirt dancing with the boys on cacophony of Anu Malik’s Humko tumse pyar hai jiya bekraar hai aaja meri bulbul
14. Kabhi Haa Kabhi Naa – If my memory serves me right this came out at the same time as Jurassic Park. I remember this as my bro went out with his friends for this movie and I cried my heart out sulking in dad’s lap till my eyes swelled for him to take me out for JP. That was my first movie with dad and we both enjoyed it a lot! Coming back to KHKN – its a cute movie with amazing scenes showing father-son emotions. Naseerji is great here as a church Father and so is SRK. The movie had some of the most beautiful numbers - Woh to hai albela, Aye Kaash ke hum, Aana mere pyaar ko na, Deewana Tera Deewana or one of the rarest dramatic story telling songs in history of bollywood – Sachi ye Kahaani hai sun lo meri jaan. Ashutosh Gowariker played the role of a band member too.
15. Judwaa – ‘Oonchi hai building‘, ‘Tan Tana Tan Tara‘, ‘East or west India is the best‘ – Salman Khan in double role with Rambha and Karisma in this crazy mind caper. The innocent Salman was my favorite. Total time pass.
16. Hello Brother – Havaldar Hatella aka Johnny Lever, Pungi baja, thunderours thigh Rani in toooo short mini skirts and Arbaaz Khan in this heart transplant crazy love story.
17. Khiladi – 100% entertainment bole to paisa wasool. The mother of all Khiladi legacy movies. The awesome murder mystery with cool college pranks, awesome songs and cute chemistry between Akshay and Ayesha Jhulka. The heart rendering ‘Waada Raha Sanam Honge Juda Na Hum‘ or the naughty ‘Khud Ko Kya Samajhti hai‘ – this is shudh ghar ka desi asli khaalis Abbas-Mustaan production for you.
The others that are coming in my mind are Chamatkaar, Guddu (both SRK starrers), Dulhe Raja, Kshatriya/Parampara (/ intended as both have too similar a story line with different ensemble caste), Hindustani (mind blowing music by HRH AR Rahman - Latka Laga Dia Humne Jhatka Laga Diya Tumne, Maaya Machindra, Telephone Dhun mein hasne waali - yes people I still listen to these numbers – they are in my iPod ), Viraasat (beautiful movie with impressive performances from Anil Kapoor, Tabu, Pooja Batra and Amrish Puri – who can forget - Taarein Hai Baraati or Payali Chunmun or Dhol Bajne Laga), Hero No. 1 (Chi Chi again - Sona Kitna Sona hai - full too take on 70′s Baawarchi!), Coolie No. 1 (Chi Chi Karisma again with Husn hai Suhaana and Kader Khan with his comic timing), Beta and Madhuri’s hot Ouch Dhak dhak karne Laga…eh I know too many right now…..come on share your potboilers too in the comments below.
You know you know one!
Posters are here
FB Fan Page here
(Pic courtesy: Amazon.com)