What recession is teaching us?


What recession is teaching us?
  1. Faith in god
  2. Family is important than job
  3. Job is not the only social identity – you are someone’s son/daughter,husband/wife, brother/sister, mother/father
  4. Who are our real friends who are foes
  5. Self belief
  6. Testing of times and your own strength
  7. To take out time for those activities we bothered to ignore.

What more do you think?


Life also applies Pareto’s Law or 80/20 principle…
80% of the things like office work which take our time give us only 20% of happiness.. and 20% of things that we rarely do in a day give us 80% of happiness..
But if the impact of 80% things/chores wouldn’t be there we won’t be able to treasure the true essence of the remaining 20% nice things in our life…
Have I confused you enough already?

From what I explained to MVM a couple of months back I think it is turning true…


Life also applies Pareto’s Law or 80/20 principle…

80% of the things like office work which take our time give us only 20% of happiness.. and 20% of things that we rarely do in a day give us 80% of happiness..

But if the impact of 80% things/chores wouldn’t be there we won’t be able to treasure the true essence of the remaining 20% nice things in our life…

Have I confused you enough already?

Do you agree?

12 thoughts on “What recession is teaching us?

  1. I think the grass is always greener on the other side.
    Also, I must add that when a person loses his job, a larger part of how he will react to it will depend on how financially strong he already is.

    • @Amit – You are right!! This post is my perspective, I am just touched by the kind gesture shown by my parents, hubby and friends in these times. My friends are doing something or the other from the points mentioned in the above list. In fact my own backup plan is to get back to uni full-time if god forbid I am in this situation.
      And yes you are cent percent correct the reaction is dependent on the financial position.
      I have however not come across any body in a place in the situation different than mine and I am glad as at this stage I can’t bear more trauma.

  2. hmm true.. but the sad part is that in these times some smart not-so-good ppl with good contacts still manage to get jobs.. but hard working ppl struggle so much and still end up without jobs😦 This is what I noticed

    • @ avada – Nepotism and favouritism has been always sad…..I can’t stand it…people kissing others’ arses and moving their way up the ladder have alays been in my hit list!!!😦

  3. yeah i can understand it better. I want to go with my interest and leaving all the high paying jobs only for my interst. And the best part is ‘in recession there is no session of job interviews in my area of interest’

    • @ abhinav – the conditions here are also not so favourable dear! I am just glad to have my parents ad friends’ support. I am hoping and praying that these tough times pass fast and may god give us enough strength. Amen

  4. @ suda – hmm thanks for the comments..it has made me even more sad!

    The points that I listed above were to cheer myself and my friends..we are facing the same fears..and now reading your comment has made my mood hell!

    Your view is different than mine coz my mom dad keep telling me ‘beta even if you lose job, its not the end of the world, we will always be there for you’. Another friend of mine has started going to temple daily for others’ sake – so thi proves we know who are our friends.

    Let me tell you Anupam has been through this phase and I know what happened to him, me and us!

    its not I wrote this post wearing rose coloured glasses!! I have seen the harsh reality from too close that you can’t even imagine!

    Sorry if I have got too emotional!

  5. I disagree a little or say I have seen people do exactly opposite of what you mentioned (Here, by people I mean recession-hit, laid-off or with no job bcoz of recession):
    1. Faith in god: Many friends who were faced lay-offs don’t have jobs even after 1 years trying and searching, they say they have lost faith in everything😦

    2. Family is important than job: Very few of the recession hit people go hometown as frequently as they did earlier, calls to mom-dad-bro-sis have decreased and everyone wants nothing but a job damn it😦😦

    3. Job is not the only social identity – you are someone’s son/daughter,husband/wife, brother/sister, mother/father: Same as point 2, no job means you are useless (not my thoughts, its everywhere now) so family is family but job is life’s bread and butter.

    4. Who are our real friends who are foes: Well, a little spring here😉 Now, everyone a friend. In these bad times, anyone can help you and people have started going out of the way to help others😀

    5. Self belief: This is the worst point. Many of my friends who lost their jobs have lost all the confidence over the year of struggle. And I know more that 20-25 guys-gals like this. Don’t even think about the people who didn’t get the job at first place after completing the graduation 😦😦😦

    6. Testing of times and your own strength: Well, no comments here as no one is speaking up about this. I hope everyone is really doing self-assessment somehow…. 😐

    7. To take out time for those activities we bothered to ignore: Well, does it include not calling anyone, spending time closed in rooms and looking at everything in life in a resentful way? Then thats it, thats what nearly everyone is doing. 😦😦😦😦

    Sorry Fruity for so much negative thoughts but this is what I saw in my friends and few familiar persons. I think they should be thinking the way you put it but not everyone is positive and we can’t understand until we are in their shoes (not that I want to understand it).

Liked or disliked what you read? Leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s